You are currently browsing the category archive for the ‘Faith’ category.
In a recent conversation, someone said they didn’t get “fed” when they taught in church. Others around the table nodded in agreement. This revelatory statement told me a couple of things, namely this person (and the ones agreeing) is missing the joy of study and preparation when sharing God’s word. For me, these are the most fruitful, introspective, and insightful times. I absolutely love that part of ministry. When I heard this spoken, it made me wonder about calling to ministry, how much time this person devotes to preparation, and the selfishness of that mindset.
Ever since, I’ve pondered this person’s statement. For full-time ministers and people called to ministry, we are always giving to others and “feeding.” Should we rely on others to “feed” us? Is staying connected with God and self-care in our daily walk not enough? There is no shortage of resources: sermon podcasts, websites with audio and video resources, small groups, Bible studies, etc.
If you’re called to ministry or serving in church, how do you stay “fed”? What are your thoughts on that mindset? Does your study preparation “feed” you? Is there a danger in always being the giver and never receiving? What does healthy and balanced look like?
Calling all bibliophiles and lovers of learning! Trevin Wax at Kingdom People is generously giving away a stack of books for Christmas! Here’s the list:
1. THE REASON FOR GOD – Tim Keller
2. CULTURE MAKING – Andy Crouch
3. SURPRISED BY HOPE – N.T. Wright
4. WHY WE’RE NOT EMERGENT – Kevin DeYoung & Ted Kluck
5. HOW PEOPLE CHANGE – Timothy Lane & Paul David Tripp
6. THE BIG PICTURE STORY BIBLE –David Helm & Gail Schoonmaker
7. JESUS MADE IN AMERICA – Stephen Nichols
8. RESIDENT ALIENS – Stanley Hauerwas & Will Willimon
9. WORSHIP MATTERS – Bob Kauflin
10. THE SERMON ON THE MOUNT THROUGH THE CENTURIES – Jeffrey Greenman, Timothy Larsen, and Stephen Spencer
The winner will be chosen on December 25. So, stop over at Kingdom People and get your name in the drawing!
UPDATE: Winner here.
Having lived a good portion of my life in northwest Minnesota and being part Norwegian, this list made me laugh. For all you like-minded people, here is a little something to make you chuckle. Enjoy.
1. Der’s only one God, ya know.
2. Don’t make that fish on your mantle an idol.
3. Cussing ain’t Minnesota nice.
4. Go to church even when you’re up north or at the lakes.
5. Honor your folks.
6. Don’t kill. Catch and release.
7. There is only one Lena for every Ole. No cheatin’.
8. If it ain’t your lutefisk, don’t take it.
9. Don’t be braggin’ about how much ya shoveled.
10. Keep your mind off your neighbor’s hotdish.